QUESTIONS PLEASE!

Many women of this generation and others too, just more from this generation, seem to have lost the art of cooking from scratch.
I have VERY strong feelings about the effects that this is having on our society. For me, there are MANY reasons to cook from scratch, but one big one for me that comes calling each night as my hubby gets home is his Celiac Disease.
Having Celiac Disease in our home not only threw me for a loop with our regular family meals that included noodles and bread and flour, but also the fact that for the most part we can’t use “boxed” meals. Most have “wheat starch” as thickeners, or “barley malt extract” or something like that, and we can’t do that among many other items.
As a result, I cook from scratch nearly every day and cook with whole/natural foods.
Also, I did complete a 2 yr Culinary Arts program in which I learned how to cook A LOT of things, but also the function of foods and ingredients and how to change recipes and formulations as well as learn a lot about nutrition and MUCH more.
My extended family OFTEN calls me and says “Is Robyn’s Cooking Hotline open?” I laugh and respond, “Yes, this is Robyn. What can I help you with?” It is all done is fun, but with seriousness. Many people ask me A LOT of things that I think are important to know that I had not realized people don’t know that make a HUGE difference. So in short, I would like to see questions about items YOU want to know about. Let’s have LOTS of questions and have everyone help answer them! My forte is food and cooking- but I know that MANY of you have SO much to bring to the “table” here! SO lets hear it- need to know an idea for cooking tonight? Need an ingredient substitute? Need to change a recipe?

Comments

1. The Munfords March 23, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I have a question….How in the world does a woman cook everynight and make it easy so you aren't spending all day trying to figure out what to cook. Do you have a menu, freezer dinners, etc. I need something to help me from not eating out so much and that doesn't take alot of my time because I am constantly busy with my three little ones. It seems like everytime I cook I end up burning something because I have to change a diaper or kids screaming or the kids always getting into something.. Advice…

2. Robyn March 23, 2011 at 8:42 pm

As with everything, you do what works best for your family. But for us, yes- I make menus every week and I shop for those specific meals once a week. If I didn't know what I was making ahead of time I'd never make anything! Most of my meals take less than 30 mins and once a week I usually do a crock pot dinner on my busiest day.
    I like it because I sit down Monday or whenever and think about my week, what we have to do on what day and plan the dinners that way. Some days I know I'll have more time, others its Frozen Pizza because I won't be home. And yes, occasionally we go out to eat, maybe once or twice a month, but it is always planned.
    As for the kids, I've got 3 as well, and the best I can say about that it to find something for them to help with- butter the bread (yes it will be sloppy), mix the potatoes, etc. Doesn't always work, and it can be stressful, but I find it is only about 15 mins of stressful and then its over… did that help?

3. Maren March 23, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I want your gluten-free lemon meringue pie recipe…complete with all the sneaky tips that make or break this yumminess. thanks.

4. Beverly March 24, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I have been planning and cooking meals for over 40 years now and I can tell you that menus and meal planning take most of the stress out of dinner time and saves a lot of money in the food budget. It may take some time to figure out what works, but having a food budget and learning to cook for your family inside that budget is worth it. I also cook with the crockpot about once a week (usually on Sunday)it is a lifesaver on the busiest days.
    And thanks Robyn for always being there for my questions!

5. Nettie! March 27, 2011 at 12:33 am

We follow Liz Edmund's (The Food Nanny) idea to do theme nights. Sunday-Family Traditions, Monday- Comfort Food (and the only night we have dessert) Tuesday – Italian, Wednesday – Fish/Meatless or Breakfast for Dinner, Thursday – Mexican, Friday – Pizza, Saturday – Grill Night. And I make a menu two weeks in advance. I only have to shop twice a month!

6. Nettie! March 27, 2011 at 12:33 am

7. Jeanne Anderson March 28, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Ohh…I like that Nettie! I think we kinda end up doing that already, but mapping it out like that is pretty cool. I only menu for the week, but have been thinking of doing it for the month to make the whole thing easier. I love my freezer I just have to say. It's so nice to buy a bunch of roasts, hamburger- or whatever is on a steal of a sale and know that they are just there waiting to be used when I need them!

Comments are closed.