Why do you think eating together as a family is important?

What is your view? Did you eat around the table when you were growing up? Do you think it effects family ties or your view of your mother and father’s ability to take care of your needs? Many research studies suggest that eating together as a family around a table of home cooked food has many positive affects on families and children. Why do you think this is? Sometimes it seems life is too busy/stressful to worry about cooking…..

Comments

1. Robyn March 28, 2011 at 12:55 am

My view: a resounding, YES! I do think eating together at the table at HOME eating nutritious food benefits your family so much more than just the nutritional value- it supports emotional health, family health, marriage health, ect. So take that extra 30 minutes and make it happen! Look at all you can help in those precious minutes, and our families and marriages ARE precious. Just do a google search on "benefits of eating together as a family at home" or "statistics of eating together" ect and there are SO many articles that support this- we just need to teach how important it is to OUR kids for the future!

2. Robyn March 28, 2011 at 12:55 am

3. Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies March 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm

We usually ate together at the table as a family growing up. Now that I have my own family, we do when Carl is home for dinner, but sometimes I just need a break from the kids, so even though they are at the table, I'm in the living room taking personal time.

4. Jeanne Anderson March 28, 2011 at 9:13 pm

It is such a wonderful thing, but definitely takes just a little extra time and prep. There is nothing like happy little faces and full tummies from a home cooked meal. And the comments of–"Mommy you are the best cook ever!" ,are pretty great too!

5. Jeanne Anderson March 28, 2011 at 9:13 pm

6. Beverly March 31, 2011 at 11:14 am

I love this study…it is from a White House Conference on Teenagers-2000
    Parental involvement is a major influence in helping teens avoid risks such as
    smoking, drinking, drug use, sexual activity, violence, and suicide attempts, while
    increasing educational achievement and expected attainment. For many families,
    eating dinner together can be an important way for children and parents to maintain
    connection. Significant differences were noted between teens who eat dinner with
    their parents at least five times a week and those who do not. Similarly, significant
    differences were found for teens who reported feeling “close” to their mother and/or
    father and those who did not. These results persist after taking account of differences
    in teens’ gender, poverty status, and family structure.

7. marci April 2, 2011 at 2:39 pm

When you have a busy family like ours, I think it's important to just be together !
    We have great family togetherness and conversations at restaurants as well. In fact, I'm less stressed out because I didn't have to cook it or clean up !! Yay !!

Marci