OK, so we love sweet and sour ANYTHING around here!
I’m not going to proclaim that these don’t have a little processed sugar…. cuz they DO! But compared to processed sweet and sour sauces out there, and some HORENDOUS sauces I’ve seen on recipe cards that call for HUGE amounts of sugar and salt…….
These take the cake for a healthy sweet and sour recipe. 🙂
Sweet and Sour Meatballs (Again, under $10 and EASY!)
1- 1.5 lbs Turkey burger ($3.50)
2 tbsp dried minced onion, or 1/3 c. chopped fresh onion (.20)
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (.15)
3/4 c. rolled oats (.25)
2 eggs (.25)
1/3 c. milk (.06)
1/2 tsp salt (.01)
4 dashes of pepper (.02)
1/4 c. brown sugar (.11)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (.07)
1/4 c. vinegar (white or apple cider) (.12)
1 c. pineapple tidbits, drained, juice reserved ($1.20 for a 15 oz can)
1/2 c. reserved pineapple juice
1/2 of a green bell pepper chopped (about 3/4 c.) (.40)
Total cost: $6.34
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Prepare a 3 quart casserole or 9×6 pan by greasing the bottom (makes for easy cleaning)
3. Mix all the meatball ingredients together with a fork or with your hand.
4. Form balls, about a hand full each, making 12 meatballs and place them in the pan.
5. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the meat balls, then evenly distribute the pineapple tidbits and chopped pepper over the meatballs.
6. In a small bowl combine the vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and pineapple juice. Pour evenly over the meatballs.
7. Bake in the oven for 30 mins.
Viola! Dinner is SERVED!
Total time: about 35 minutes, yeild 12 meat balls, serves 6-8.
I served Broccoli, Brown rice, and a little fruit “salad” made from the rest of the pineapple from the 15 oz can I used, mixed with fresh strawberries and a splash of lime juice.
It was PERFECT! I’d say the entire cost for this meal was under $10.